Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Life Is Bloody Good!

I thought I had lost this little tid bit from last year's nano.

I looked through all my files - it's not there.
I looked through all my printed work - not there either.
I didn't even think of looking through my blog, but I did today - there it was!

I was bummed and started writing it again, but something about it felt funny. I couldn't get the feel of the original. It was the first time I'd used a writing promt and it felt liberating. The words just flowed as if they were asking to be written.

So I copy and pasted the scene here because a few people wanted to see it and I think it's fun. Please remember this is very rough. I have done nothing to it since first writing it other than spell check. Also, this is a scene from a novel, so it's a bit out of context, but you will bet the point.




Rancid Yak Butter



“Lucy, did you know that spreading rancid yak butter on your belly will keep you from getting stretch marks?” Evie looked so proud that she was able to help me with one of my pregnancy problems. Rancid yak butter, was she serious?

“Um, Evie, um, I’m not sure about this idea.” I wasn’t sure if she was serious about what she was saying, or if she was joking with me.

“Yes, yes, it will work. My mother did it through each of her pregnancies. She had seven children and four miscarriages. I know it works.” She ran to the refrigerator and returned with a glass jar in her hand. Inside was this strange glutinous substance that shook and jiggled when she placed it in front of me. It was the color of that cholesterol stuff hairdressers use on overly damaged hair.

I just sat there and looked at the jar for a moment before I swung my eyes back up to look at her. “Where did you get this?” I had to ask her.

“Off the internet. Where else was I going to get rancid yak butter in this country?” Her voice held an undertone of laughter as she spoke. Was this a joke?

“You’re kidding about this, right? That’s not rancid yak butter is it? You, Thora, Jordan and Devin are playing a joke on me right?” There was no way she was serious about this. I reached out and took the jar in my hands. Just picking it up made the contents shake and shimmy. But when I looked up her eyes were deadly serious.

“Of course I’m serious. Where I grew up we had to have this stuff shipped in by boat and then mule. It started out fresh and became rancid on the journey. It cost so much money that she wouldn’t have used it if it didn’t work.” Evie took the jar from me and opened it. I was fine until the smell hit me. I’d been nauseous through most of my pregnancy and figured the smell of rancid yak butter would send me over the edge for the day. But for some reason it smelled good to me. So good I wanted to eat it.

“So what am I supposed to do with it?” I kind of hoped I’d get to eat the stuff. What was wrong with me?

“You rub it one your belly. Why? What do you think you’d have to do with it?” She sounded and looked befuddled.

“Never mind, just give me the stuff,” I mumbled.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Comments like this only make me feel better.

Coming from such a bitter spiteful person just makes me realize that my writing is decent. She would only cut me down because she feels threatened by my ability to succeed.

I am smiling because I know I will achieve my goals - for myself, not to show other people up or make them feel bad.